Saturday, April 5, 2008

#21

I wanted to find some creative way to link the subjects I'm going to mention in this post, but the only thing that came to mind is the idea of patterning. When you see the images, you'll realize that that's not terribly inciteful, but there you have it.



I've been making pillows for a new store that opened up this week. Nourish is a new boutique for handmade goods in Athens, Georgia and I've been asked to send a few pillows their way.


Working on these pillows has definitely fed my already acute love of patterning. But so has this book.


It just came in the mail the other day, but I have had so much fun looking through it. Lotta Jansdotter has such a fabulous design sense.


Now she's applied it to printing patterns on a variety of surfaces. It's terrific eye-candy, but also a wonderful beginner's introduction into the world of surface design or patterning.


The book is divided into sections devoted to different printing techniques, but my favorite is the part about potato prints. Maybe it's because I use potatoes for printing with wax or maybe it's because I love the idea of my art supplies coming from the humble grocery store. Whatever the reason, I so enjoyed this section of the book.


She also prints on an amazing array of surfaces. If I had a thumbs-up icon to add to this post, I would. I am definitely recommending this book!

9 comments:

jacquie said...

Thanks for sharing. You are quite the inspiration yourself!

Berlinswhimsy said...

Yay, I've been coveting that book since I first saw that it was coming out. I love Lotta's style SO MUCH! Thanks for the recommendation!

Sarah said...

I just saw that book in the bookstore today and you're right- it is major eye candy! I had to leave without it though because I was just there to get a book on sock knitting.

bettyninja said...

I just picked up this book too while on vacation last week! I am so excited about it. I can't wait to start printing on fabrics. I have been on a not buying new fabric kick so this will be a way to change some things I already have or pretty up yard sale finds. I'll be interested to see some of your work with potato prints.

susan said...

love your stuff...the book looks interesting. got my new qa mag today and there is a nice arricle about stamping and making your own stamps.

Our Hands For Hope said...

These look great. I can't tell on my computer any detail. Are the spirals a block pint then stiched?
Terisa

Anonymous said...

Malka,

I absolutely love your work! I'm very interested in learning to quilt. Would you mind sharing what type of machine you use, or what type you think is best to get started with?

Thanks!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book review. I recently picked up her "Simple Sewing" and made my first apron from one of her patterns. I really like her style and her instructions. I'll have to see if our bookstore has this book and take a gander, or two.

susan said...

everyday i check your blog hoping to see some new fabric or project. i hope all is well, miss your posts. i am off to the kitchen to dye for up coming guild show...yeah i know i shouldnt dye where i prep food but i am very careful and my dye space is without water in the basement...an upcoming project.